Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fancy Nancy!!!

I am one of the many people that look forward to Christmas so much that once it is all over and the decorations are all down, I would tend to get some post-Christmas blues. That all changed when I had my girls. The sooner I can get the decorations down, the sooner I can start their birthday party planning. Bayleigh's birthday is on January 23rd and the twins follow shortly after on February 11th. I have always loved party planning, but when it is your own kids it is even better. Now last year the girls had separate birthday parties. I wanted Brooke and Brylee to have their own special 1st Birthday, but this year, I opted for one party for all three girls. For starters, since we are in a new town, we won't have as large a guest list, plus, Bayleigh wanted to have a "girls only" party. The theme was simple this year...Fancy Nancy! Fancy Nancy comes from a precious series of books about a little girl who takes ordinary, everyday situations and finds a way to make them Fancy. My girls, especially Bayleigh, love the books, and I thought there was so much I could do with minimal cost. (With 3 little girls, our house is full of fancy things.

Bayleigh received a huge sticker book from her Grammar and Popeye for Christmas (Jason's parents,) and she really wanted to use it on the invitations. I have a tendency to "take over" on projects like these, but having Bayleigh apply the stickers to each invitation was a good compromise. They were super simple to make. I designed the wording in Adobe Photoshop, printed on pink paper, added a small strip of purple glitter paper, and tied on with black tulle. Grand total for 16 custom invitations $5.



Another thing I have been working on is the girls' outfits for the party. I pictured them in fun, whimsical tutus, leggings, embellished t-shirts, funky sunglasses, feather boas and big hair bows. I had been eyeballing some adorable tutus online, but they started at $30 a piece. With three girls, that would be $100 after shipping! I did a google search for how to make tutu's and several pages came up, including videos. It looked so easy that I decided to not only make my girls a tutu for the party, but let tutu-making be one of the activities for the girls. Here is a picture of my girls tutus that I made for $7 a piece! Bayleigh is blue and purple, Brooke is yellow and pink, and Brylee is green and coral. Now all that is left is some solid colored shirts and leggings that I will probably pick up at Target (the $4 separates), and some cute sequin iron-on butterflies that I got at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $1.49 a piece.


I'll be sure to post more pics of the party once the big event takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment